Friday 4 April 2014

An Introduction


The truth is, I've wanted to blog for ages. For the longest time I've been inspired by the likes of Zoella and Patricia Bright - both phenomenal and influential bloggers. But my dilemma was always "What would I blog about?" That's what kept me back. 

I'm a student currently studying at the University of Sunderland, doing a degree of English and Journalism. I absolutely love writing and have done as far back as I can remember. I remember even in Primary School, English was always my favourite subject as we'd read such interesting stories and even get the chance to write our own. My head was always jam-packed with the most crazy and surreal storylines and quite often I found myself obtaining 'Star Writer.' From a young age my love for writing blossomed and is now something I'm really passionate about and subsequently would love to pursue a career in; whether it be a magazine or newspaper journalist, an author, or even a role in marketing and promotion. For now though, I still have a few more years to decide which of these I'd ideally want to do.

In deciding that I finally wanted to start a blog I thought back to my original problem: what it was I was going to blog about. Then it occurred to me that a blog doesn't need to have a genre or a main focus - a blog is your own and to write whatever you feel like writing. I like to think of this new writing space as somewhere I can practice my writing skills and further myself. I feel a good place to start is to write about your interests, as well as anything else you feel strongly about. I have a strong interest for beauty, fashion, musicals, books and films - so you may expect to see future posts on any of these. Another role I want this blog to play is my own little portfolio towards my degree. Therefore there may be some both serious and investigative pieces of journalism to come, or some news stories of local incidents and issues.

I'd like to mention that at the moment I am working to further my writing experience not only by blogging but I am also involved with contributing to two student-run websites - SR news and Spark magazine. I have been a weekly writer for the beauty category of Spark magazine since October last year, but have just recently started writing articles for SR news.








As part of my degree I will be writing for these two websites still but I just wanted a space where I could write anything I was feeling. Some days I just feel like writing something less serious, maybe a bit more witty and light-hearted and not always an article about an overturned car injuring an elderly woman. You know? Although I do know that I'd like to sink my teeth into writing a big investigative piece of journalism some time in the history of this blog. But we'll just see what happens...

I have widgets to the left where you can feel free to follow me on Twitter, Instagram or Bloglovin' to keep up with what I'm doing, thinking and enjoying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment