Thursday 8 May 2014

Review: Bad Neighbours



Firstly, the movie encapsulates comedy at its best. Fratboy Teddy (Zac Efron), moves into a Fraternity house with his college friends next door to early-thirties couple Mac (Seth Rogen) and Kelly (Rose Byrne). The two have just recently become new parents and are coming to terms with the fact that they can no longer party like they used to in their youth and too are realising that they actually enjoy peace and quiet and the aspects of grown-up life. Therefore to have bunch wild guys move in next door who want to drink beer and party until the early hours is a difficulty they are faced with.

To begin with the relationship between the couple and the fratboys is peaceful and loyal. However a turn of events evokes conflict between the neighbours and war is officially declared. Realistically Mac and Kelly want the college kids to get suspended and move out of the neighbourhood - but they grow to understand that it won't be that simple. Throughout we see both parties tackle it out to catch out one another, pull pranks, make jokes and all in all make each others lives complete and utter hell. 

One particular aspect of the film's structure I can applaud is its element of humour. Despite the movie being an American production I found myself suitably satisfied with the banter and witty comments. I can find a lot of the time that American humour is very different to the British humour I am used to; however I didn't fail to laugh all the way through this film. 

I also didn't feel as though the narrative was rushed and that everything was covered in the 137 mins very well. Sometimes films of this length can be hurried and flaws can be identified in the storyline but everything fell into place well, for me.

Overall, the acting performances from the stars Seth Rogan, Rose Byrne and Zac Efron were all very applaudable. I also thought that Dave Franco's role of Pete was very well played and I found him really funny. Once you see the film you'll understand why, watch out for the bit where they're all having a Robert De Niro party; I was in stitches. 

On the whole I really have nothing to criticise about this movie, I thought it was all really well done and filled with humourous content that had me laughing out loud.


Definitely a must-see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment